Are you tasked with researching destinations for incentive rewards, meetings, or special events? The key to program success is choosing a desirable destination to motivate peak performance and increase event attendance. Understanding the destination preferences of today’s attendees is critical, so we’d like to share insights from a recent industry report.
The Incentive Research Foundation (IRF) recently surveyed full-time sales employees who had been – or are currently eligible – for an incentive travel award. The May 2023 report, Attendee Preferences for Incentive Travel, revealed that cruising has shown a strong recovery since 2021, rising from last ranked to number three in 2023. Millennials showed particular interest in cruising as an incentive experience.
A Cruise Delivers Top Three Incentive Travel Preferences
Cruising can also be an entrée to the world of adventure. Last winter, our CEO, Joyce Landry, had a fabulous adventure experience during her luxe expedition cruise to Antarctica. If your participants prefer less exotic adventures, there are ropes courses on ships, zip lines at cruise lines’ private islands, and water sports and snorkeling in clear blue waters. So, while cruise travel is a solid number three motivating choice, it can also fulfill the first and second-ranked motivators!
What Attendees Think About Cruising
The IRF survey delved further into attitudes toward cruises. We’re excited to share the results:
- 71% of respondents agreed that an ocean cruise to a desirable destination would be “extremely motivating” as an incentive travel award.
- 71% said a cruise ship provides all the comforts of a luxury hotel.
- 69% of respondents agreed that a river cruise to a desirable destination would be “extremely motivating.”
- 68% said a cruise ship provides a safe and secure environment.
- 65% stated they would prefer to explore multiple international ports of call by cruise rather than one international destination at a hotel.
- 65% of respondents agreed that the cruise experience is a desirable destination, regardless of the ports of cal
Find Your Perfect Cruise Destination
Planners, don’t miss the boat! If you’re searching for a motivating destination for your next meeting or incentive program, now is the time to think about a cruise. The team at Landry & Kling is your go-to resource for creating memorable MICE cruise programs. Let us know your program requirements, and we’ll find the perfect ship and itinerary to meet your needs and ensure success!