Recently, Incentive Magazine Executive Editor Leo Jakobson reached out to Landry & Kling CEO Joyce Landry for “Insider Intel” about incentive cruises. The article, Cruises Go Full Speed Ahead in Incentive Travel, is featured in the May/June issue. Joyce shares insights into how the niche market grew and why demand for MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences, events) cruises is increasing.
Incentives on Cruise Ships: How the Market Grew
When Joyce Landry & Jo Kling founded Landry & Kling 35 years ago, there wasn’t much competition from other companies specializing in meetings & incentives on cruise ships – because they created the niche!
Besides having to promote the concept of meeting at sea, they also had to overcome obstacles within the cruise industry. According to Joyce, until 1990 “The cruise lines had no sales departments for this market and no dedicated meeting and event facilities on their ships.”
Fast forward to 2017. According to the Incentive Research Foundation “2017 Outlook Study”, 13 percent of incentive companies expect to change from land-based to cruise programs. And the number is rising. Joyce notes,
We no longer have to convince them to cruise, but to find the right ship.
A few reasons why planners are booking meetings and incentives on cruise ships:
- More ships, more choices: ships of all types & sizes offer greater variety of dining, entertainment, activities
- Cost Savings, with more inclusions than most land-based venues
- Improved WiFi capabilities and more flexible package pricing
- New, unique experiences and built-in opportunities for relationship-building
- Better security than hotels
- Visits to multiple ports plus convenient travel on a “floating hotel”
- More 3, 4 & 5-night itineraries and new destinations
Want more reasons?